Fire & Smoke FAQs

Who do I call?
You need a restoration company that has experience with fire, as does Bixler Corporation. Construction companies with no experience with fire often leave affected areas untreated, resulting in constant smoke odor.
Where do I begin?
You should begin by calling a restoration company to assist with the boarding-up of your home or business. You should also make a phone call to your insurance agent to start the claims process.
How long will it take for me to get my house back in livable condition?
This depends on several factors: 1) How long it takes for the insurance company to fund your loss; 2) the extent of the damage; 3) the amount of additions or upgrades in your project.
Can one company take care of my stuff , my house, and make it new again?
Yes. There are restoration companies that not only specialize in fire restoration but also in contents cleaning and processing and reconstruction.
Do I need to get someone to “board up” my house?
Yes. If the security of your home has been compromised, it is your responsibility to do everything that you can to secure your home and its contents. A good restoration company will be able to help with that process.
How do I get reimbursed for the “stuff” that’s been destroyed?
An inventory will be taken of the contents of your home. Anything that is not cleanable will be inventoried and discarded. Anything that is cleanable will be inventoried and cleaned and stored off-site until it is time to bring all of your contents back to your home or office.
Can some of my stuff be cleaned and restored?
Yes. Depending on the amount of damage, many things can be completely restored through a cleaning process. Other things that are questionable and not prized possessions will often be replaced by the insurance company.
Will my house always smell like smoke?
If not restored properly, the answer is “yes”. This is why it is important to hire an experienced fire restoration company to handle your loss.
How much will all this cost?
At the end of the day, when your project is complete, your will be out the deductible that is stated in your insurance policy and any changes or upgrades that you make.
How long will it take to get started rebuilding?
Getting started requires clearance from your insurance company’s Cause and Origin Department. This is basically an arson investigation unit that reviews every fire. Once clearance is given and an estimate is written for the loss and the insurance company and the contractor agree on that estimate, the insurance company will issue a check to the homeowner. When the contractor receives a down payment, work can begin.
Where am I going to live while all the work is being done?
Most everyone has coverage in their policy that is usually referred to as ALE which pays for additional living expenses incurred while work on your home is being completed. For a business this is usually referred to “Business Loss of Use” coverage.
Password generation
Supportscreen tag